Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Healthy Outlook

Hi, friends,

Most of you know that four years ago, I started running. Most of you also know that it changed my body and, more importantly, it changed my life. But the thing is, at the beginning, running was all about making my body a certain way, a way that I wasn't ashamed of, a way that I thought someone else might love. It took years to transform my relationship with running into a true appreciation of what the sport does for my life. Even so, I still fight a battle for balance. The "stout girl," as my middle school cheerleading coach called her, is always inside me, worried much more about what people think than about how she feels about herself.

In honor of that girl, and the cheerleading coach who I'm sure had no idea she was making a statement I would carry around for decades, today's email is about organizations that help girls find their way into healthy lives much earlier than I did. By making all kinds of sports available and possible for young girls, these organizations teach the next generation of women how to make their whole selves confident, capable and centered. If we empower girls with the experiences and skills to build beautiful lives and whatever body they decide they want, maybe they won't be so desperate to find someone to love them and care for them. They will already know how to do that for themselves.

GoGirlGo! was founded by tennis legend Billie Jean King. The organization not only runs programs that get girls involved in athletic pursuits, they also provide financial help to girls who aspire to a higher level of competition.

Girls Inc. started during the Industrial Revolution to serve the needs of the newly emerging young, female working class. Today their programs include health and physical activities, but also extend to money management, understanding media and developing girls' interest in math and science.

Girls on the Run uses running to help young women become fit, strong and confident. At the end of each season, girls and their running buddies complete a 5K. I'm tearing up just writing that, people.

Just one last thought, then. It's not mine, but I like it:
"It is no measure of good health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~Jiddu Krishnamurti.

Be well, and take good care of yourselves.
Juli

No comments:

Post a Comment